Sunday, February 8, 2009

Tasting some low-country in the northland - BBQ Shrimp and Grits


I don't know if I had ever actually eaten BBQ shrimp and grits, but the idea always sounded great. I've spent tons of time in the low-country of South Carolina and coastal Georgia, but if I ever got my hands on some fresh shrimp, they were usually steamed and served from a steel pail with some lemon, cocktail sauce and not a thing more.


I searched high and low for some decent old-fashion grits (good luck finding those in Minneapolis) and finally found something that could work hiding out in the baking section of the local store. I also made the BBQ sauce from scratch - trust me, do this the day before unless you have some extra time on your hands.


As for the result - hoo-weee! This will be making a return appearance on my table. Who knew F&W could do 'down-home'?





Both courtesy of Food and Wine.



No comments: