Thursday, May 31, 2007

Holy Guacamole Kids!


I'm thrilled to see that guacamole season is back! I took a short cut this winter when I was in desperate need of a guac fix by using a jarred guacamole mix by Frontera brought home by the BF. It was good (tangy and citrus-y), but couldn't hold a candle to my home-made version. I have been known to pack a mortar and pestle in my suitcase when traveling for extended vacations where I would have access to a kitchen. Because of my penchant for making this while on vacation in exotic locales, it brings me a certain level of instant "Zen" when I make this at home. Play with this set of ingredients and see how it suits ya . . .

DM's Guacamole

2 ripe Haas avocados (the small leathery ones) pitted, cubed and scooped from shell - here's a video that teaches you the technique: How to Dice an Avocado: Easy Cooking Tips & Techniques
1 medium jalapeƱo chili, finely diced (seeded if you want your guac mild)
2 cloves garlic - minced
2 Tbls finely minced red onion
1 tsp coarse kosher salt (or to taste)
1/4 cup coarsely chopped red onion
1 - 2 roma tomatoes - seeded and diced
4 - 6 dashes Mexican Hot Sauce (like Cholula) or Tabasco Sauce
3 - 4 dashes Worcestershire Sauce
1/4 cup fresh cilantro - chopped
Juice of 1/2 fresh lime

Method:
1) Place the diced chili, garlic, minced red onion and salt in a mortar bowl - grind with pestle until a wet paste starts to form and the items seem well mixed (Touch a bit to your tongue and swallow. If you feel a slight burn in the back of your throat, it's just right)
2) Mix paste with the avocado - mash and mix until incorporated, but avocados still a bit chunky
3) Add chopped Onion, hot sauce and Worcestershire sauce and stir to combine - taste for salt - add more if needed
4) Stir in tomatoes and cilantro. Sprinkle with lime juice.

I prefer to serve these with "Garden of Eatin" blue corn chips, but this goes great on chicken burgers as well.

No comments: